How should we act toward those who act inappropriately and who do bad deeds in the community?
Submitted by on Wed, 04/01/2017 - 14:49
Dear Brother / Sister,
When we see a bad deed, we should try to correct it based on our position.
Every Muslim is responsible for fulfilling his duty. The position (rank) of a person in a community encumbers him with some responsibilities. Every Muslim becomes responsible in accordance with his position. We can deal with the issue through the following hadith:
“Whoever among you sees an evil, then let him stop it with his hand. Whoever is not able, then with his tongue, and whoever is not able, then with his heart.” (Tirmidhi, Fitan, 11)
People cannot interpret this hadith on their own in all situations. For instance, if you see an evil on the way and try to correct it by beating a person and if that person sues you, you may be punished. Then, how should we understand the meaning of the hadith?
Correcting/stopping something with the hand is the duty of the people with authority, that is, the state, the police. To correct something with the tongue is the duty of the scholars; to dislike it by the heart is the duty of others.
A person can be in the position of correcting with the hand in some places and correcting with the tongue in others. For instance, regarding an affair of the state, we can fulfill our duty by stopping it with the tongue or by disliking by the heart. However, in a family affair, we can correct it with the hand.
We should try to tell a person who does an evil deed about his mistakes through soft words. However, if he is likely to react or to oppose, we can dislike it by our heart and feel relaxed.
Questions on Islam
- "If a person sees a bad deed that he cannot change, it is enough for him to be saved from the sin when he tells Allah that he does not like that deed." How should we understand the hadith above?
- It is said "A person is held responsible for what he knows." Can a person tell what he knows anywhere, or does he have to?
- Is it permissible to keep silent and not to pursue one’s rights so as not to commit a sin? In what situations is it permissible for man to keep silent?
- What are the rights of a Muslim over other Muslims?
- What is Backbiting? Is it allowable for some certain cases?
- Is it the duty of the Government or Individuals to Prevent the Evil in the Community?
- What does it mean to love and to hate for the sake of Allah? What should one understand from it? How should one love and hate for the sake of Allah?
- How was the Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) way of conveying of the message and summoning men to the truth?
- Can you give information about tabligh (conveying the message of Islam, propagation of Islam) and the tabligh method of our Prophet (pbuh)?
- How was the tabligh and advice method of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?