The following is stated in verse 41 of the chapter Yusuf: "He will hang from the cross.” However, it is stated in some websites that the penalty of crucifixion did not exist in Egypt and that the Romans applied it. Which one is true?
Submitted by on Fri, 07/12/2018 - 15:29
Dear Brother / Sister,
"O my two companions of the prison! As to one of you, he will pour out the wine for his lord to drink: as for the other, he will hang from the cross, and the birds will eat from off his head. (so) hath been decreed that matter whereof ye twain do enquire." (Yusuf, 12/41)
It is not stated in the verse that he will be crucified but that he will be hanged. Besides, the claim that the penalty of crucifixion did not exist in Egypt is not true.
Executing a criminal by tying his hands and feet or nailing him is called "crucifixion"; it was common among Romans but it was also applied by Assyrians, Persians, Phoenicians of Carthage, Egyptians and Greeks beforehand. Thus, it was thought that people would take lessons and the power of justice would be displayed. (see DİA, Çarmıh Item. Diyanet Vakfı Publications)
Questions on Islam
- Does Allah inform anybody whom He wishes about ghayb (unknown/unseen)?
- How many years later did the Byzantines defeat the Iranians, which is mentioned in the chapter of ar-Rum?
- How did the polytheists despise the Muslims when the Persians defeated the Byzantines, which caused the chapter of ar-Rum to be sent down? How did Hz. Abu Bakr and Ubayy ibn Khalaf place a bet upon this chapter?
- Hazrat Abu Bakr Wagers Ubayy Bin Khalaf
- The slander that Allah does not know the deeds that man will do..
- What is the reason for the application of penalties for some sins?
- Did the prophet (PBUH) advise drinking camel’s urine?
- Where is the tomb of the crucified person? Why is there no such record?
- Does Qur'an talk about Terror and War?
- Will you give information about the distortion process of the Bible (New Testament)? Is there any evidence that the Bible (New Testament) was distorted? Will you give examples?