Are there any hadiths related to apologizing?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/04/2016 - 20:08
Dear Brother / Sister,
There are hadiths about apologizing. The following is stated in a hadith:
“If a Muslim brother of you comes to you to apologize, accept his apology even if he is not sincere. If you do not, you cannot come near me at the pool of Kawthar." (see Hakim, 4/170)
"A person who does not accept the apology of his Muslim brother cannot drink from the pool of Kawthar." (Munawi, Faydul-Qadir, 3/1181)
"It is a sin not to accept the apology of one's Muslim brother." (Abu Dawud, al-Marasil, 1/351-h. no:521; Ibn Majah, Adab,23)
"A person who does not accept the apology of a person carries that person's sins." (Ibn Majah, Adab, 23)
It is makruh to refuse the apology of a Muslim. It is among Allah's attributes to accept apologies and to forgive sins. Allah punishes a person who does not accept apologies.
The following is stated in a hadith:
"Allah accepts the repentance of a person who apologizes. (Allah accepts the repentance of a person before he breathes his last.)" (see Abu Ya’la, Musnad, 9/462)
Questions on Islam
- How should the hadith "to want for his believing brother what one wants for himself" be understood?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim to swear at, curse or damn another Muslim? How should a person react to those who swear at him?
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- Are there hadiths about loving Ahl al-Bayt?
- In a hadith, it is stated that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wanted to see his brothers that would come at the end of time. What is the reason for this?
- How should we understand the hadith "The only difference that distinguishes between a Muslim and an unbeliever is prayer (salah)"?
- Could you please explain the hadith which means whoever criticizes his brother/sister (in religion) for his/her sin, he will not die unless he commits the same sin?
- Will you give information about the source and interpretation of the hadith "Cleanliness is from belief"?
- How should the expression "is not (one) of us" mentioned in some hadiths be understood? For instance, "He who cheats us is not one of us." "He who sleeps on a full stomach while his neighbor is hungry is not one of us."
- Will the worship performed at the end of time be rewarded by Allah differently?