What is a Miracle?
Miracles are wonders that mankind has been unable to do but Allah enabled His prophets to do them.
Since a prophet is chosen among people, other people may oppose and even deny his prophethood by doubting him because he is at a higher rank than them. As a matter of fact, that issue is stated in the Quran and it is informed that prophets that were sent by Allah was addressed by their nations as follows: “We see (in) thee nothing but a man like ourselves: nor do we see that any follow thee but the meanest among us, in judgment immature: nor do we see in you (all) any merit above us.” (For instance, see: Hud, 27)
Then, the person who is a prophet needs a spiritual superiority, loftiness and distinction in order to establish and maintain authority over people. He needs evidence to show that he is a prophet and he has a connection with Allah. That evidence is miracles. (İşaratü’l-İcaz, 86.)
Miracles are for the approval of the cause of the prophets by Allah, the Creator of the universe. If a person says, “The Sultan appointed me to do such and such a task” before that Sultan, and when he is asked for evidence, if the Sultan approves it, will there be any doubt about it since the Sultan confirmed and approved him? Similarly, when a Sultan changes a custom, law or situation of his that he always does based on the wish of a person, he is regarded to have confirmed and approved the claim of that person.
Just like the case in the example, the prophets claimed, “I am the messenger of the Creator of this Universe. My evidence is that he will change some of his long-established and continuous customs based on my supplication and wish.” And, Allah Almighty showed hundreds of miracles through their hands. (Mektubat, 92.)
- What is a Miracle?
- Types of Miracles
- What are the differences between miracles and wonder-works (Kearamaths)?
- The new video of "Belief in the Hereafter" is now available!
- How can I understand that Mohammad (pbuh) is really the prophet of God?
- What are the evidences of our prophet´s (PBUH) prophethood?
- Belief in the Hereafter # 14: The Proof of Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) and the Qur’an
- What is a miracle? In what situations are miracles shown?
- Third Sign: The evidences for the universality of Muhammad’s (pbuh) messengership.