What is ijma-agreement? Can you explain it?
In dictionary, ijma means gathering, and agreement. Terminologically its meaning is uniting and agreeing upon an issue of the mujtahids that come in the same century. As can be seen, both in the lexical and terminological meaning, there is a unity in question. However, with this unity we mean here the unity of the mujtahids; because they are the greatest of the Muslims in terms of knowledge and insight. And the provision of ijma is the unity of the ones capable of ijtihad, which is the act of deducing secondary judgments from the Quran and Hadiths-the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). And after the mujtahids agree upon an issue, it becomes evidence and an Islamic rule. It is dependent upon the unity of all the mujtahids for the ijma to take place. If even one of the mujtahids opposes, then there would be no ijma in question, because there is the possibility that the truth is with the opposing mujtahid. This makes it clear that unity is the biggest requirement of ijma.
It is reasonable for the mujtahids in the same century to agree upon an issue and for the Muslims to be informed of this unity. It is definite that the Ashab-the believers who saw Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)-agreed on some issues. It is seen as evidence when the powerful representatives of the Muslims united upon an issue. And it is a gift to this community that this unity is taken as an evidence and religious criterion.
There are many proofs of ijma. The most known of them; the verse: Whoever opposes to the Prophet and sticks to the way of the ones other than the Believers after the right path has been clear to him, we will leave him in the way he deviated to. (But in the Hereafter) we will put him into the hell. What a bad place! and the hadith: My community does not unit upon error. Another hadith: The thing the Muslims see good is also seen good in the place of Allah.
There is no possibility of mistake in the legality of ijma. After it has been achieved, it cannot be opposed to, because opposition to the majority is a big mistake.
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- Do we need to follow sects (madhabs)? Why? Are there any hadith or verse about this in Quran?
- Why is ijtihad necessary? Why did madhhabs choose the way of ijtihad when there was a lack of narrations?
- Who is mujtahid-the performer of ijtihad, which is the act of deducing secondary judgments from the Quran and Hadiths-the sayings of Mohammad (pbuh)?
- What is the reason why madhhabs were formed and what are their benefits for people?
- What are the Essentials of the religion-Islam? Can you explain?
- Could you please define the characteristics of the interpretation methodology of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? What are the characteristics, content and activities on the subject of interpretation of His ummah (Community of Muslim Believers)?
- What is the issue of perfection-to act with perfect attention and utmost care- and permission-permissible ease in action in case of a hardship, can you explain?
- How is Ijtihad-in Islam, the act of deducing secondary judgments from the Quran and Hadiths-the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)- in a certain way by the gifted people of knowledge- viewed in Islam?
- What is the point of the difference of sects in Islam?