Reading Text: Islam is a Religion of Ease
There are a lot of events that took place during the Age of Happiness (the time of Prophet Muhammad) showing that Islam is a religion of ease. We will narrate some of them here.
Anas bin Malik narrates:
“Once the Prophet entered the mosque and found a rope hanging down between two of the pillars.
He said, "What is this rope for?"
The Companions said, "It is for Zaynab When she feels tired while performing extra prayers, she holds onto it."
The Prophet said, "No (You should not prefer such a hardship in worship), untie it. Pray as long as you feel fresh, but when you feel tired, you should sit. (and complete the prayer sitting.)” (Bukhari- 1150; Muslim 784; Nasai and Abu Dawud)
* * *
From Abu Mas’ud al-Ansari:
Once a man said to Allah's Messenger
"O Allah's Messenger! I wish to leave the prayer because so and so (the Imam) prolongs the prayer when he leads us for it.
The Prophet made a speech to the congregation at once. I never saw the Prophet more furious in giving advice than he was on that day. The Prophet said,
"O people! Are you those who make people hate?
Whoever leads the people in prayer should shorten it because among them there are the sick the weak and the needy (having some jobs to do)… (Bukhari/Ilm 88)
As it is seen, the Prophet never got as furious as he did against the acts that made people move away from, alienate from and hate the religion. The duty of a believer is to present Islam nicely, to make people like Islam, to make things easy and not to make them difficult.
* * *
Utba bin Amir narrates:
“My sister, (Umm Hibban) vowed to visit the Kaaba on foot, but later she realized that she would not be able to do it; she asked me to ask the Prophet about it. When I asked the Prophet, he said:
– (First) let her walk, (then) let her ride. ”
* * *
From Hazrat Anas:
The Messenger of Allah saw an old man walking between his two sons carried by them. He asked, “What is wrong with him? Why does he not ride?” His sons replied:
– O Messenger of Allah. Our father vowed to walk to the Kaaba. Therefore, we make him walk like that. The Messenger of Allah said:
– No doubt, Allah does not need the worship of this old man by tormenting his soul. He ordered him to ride and visit the Kaaba riding.”
* * *
Jabir bin Abdillah narrates:
“The Messenger of Allah was on an expedition. He saw a man and some people around him; they had made a shade for him. He asked “What is wrong with him?” They said, ‘he is fasting. He fainted because he could not put up with the hardships of the travel. The Messenger of Allah said:
– It is not a good deed and a virtue to fast while traveling. Do not abandon the permissions that Allah gave you.”
- What is Religion?
- What is the religion of Islam?
- What is the advice of the Prophet (pbuh) about swimming, archery, horse riding, etc.?
- What answer should we give to those who say, "Do not think deep; excessiveness in religion will make a person go crazy"?
- It is said that there is a hadith stating that the religion of a woman is half or incomplete. Is there a hadith like that?
- Will you give information about the Prophet's love of children?
- Islam is a religion of ease.
- Umm Sulaym (r.anha)
- When we need to travel in Ramadan, should we break our fast (before due time) or should we continue?