Is it sunnah to abandon the first sunnah prayers of the afternoon and night (isha) prayers?
Submitted by on Mon, 21/03/2016 - 18:48
Dear Brother / Sister,
The Prophet (pbuh) sometimes abandoned the sunnah prayer of the afternoon prayer, not the fard of it; it is haram to abandon the fard prayer.
The life of the Prophet (pbuh) is an example for us. The Companions followed him and tried to do everything he did. However, the Prophet (pbuh) sometimes abandoned some deeds so that they would not to be regarded as fard deeds.
As a matter of fact, once the Prophet (pbuh) addressed those who waited for him in the mosque until the morning in order to perform the tarawih prayer with him:
“I did not perform the tarawih prayer in congregation so that it would not be regarded as a fard prayer.” (Bukhari, Salatu’t-Tarawih 2; Muslim Salatu’l-Masafirin 178)
He sometimes abandoned some deeds that were not fard because all of his deeds were accepted as examples and models by his Companions. Thus, the Companions understood that it was not fard to do a certain deed but that there would be a lot of rewards for it and that it would not be haram to abandon it.
Today, there is not such a state of being an example. Why should we abandon the sunnah then? Those who do not perform the sunnah of the afternoon prayer will be deprived of its reward.
It is not sunnah to abandon the first sunnah prayers of the afternoon and night prayers.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible not to perform the sunnah prayers? We are sometimes very tired. They say the Prophet (pbuh) sometimes abandoned the sunnahs of the afternoon and night prayers. Is it true? How often did he abandon them?
- Why do we need to read Subhanaka supplication when we stand up for the third rak’ah after the first sitting when we perform the sunnah prayers of the afternoon (asr) and night (isha) prayers?
- Is it necessary to perform the sunnah prayers of the asr (afternoon) and isha (night) prayers all the time?
- Is it sunnah to abandon ghayr-muakkadah sunnahs deliberately?
- What is the importance of sunnah prayers? Is it enough to perform only fard prayers?
- Tarawih Prayer
- What is Sunnah?
- How was the sleeping pattern of the Prophet (pbuh)?
- Will you give information about the afternoon (asr) prayer?
- What is the importance of time for prayer (salah)?