It is stated in verse 78 of the chapter of al-Isra that the morning prayer carries testimony (is witnessed). Are the other prayers not witnessed?
Submitted by on Mon, 11/03/2019 - 15:10
Dear Brother / Sister,
The verse in question is as follows:
“Establish regular prayers - at the sun´s decline till the darkness of the night, and the morning prayer and reading: for the prayer and reading in the morning carry their testimony.” (al-Isra, 17/78)
According to the majority of scholars, the morning prayer has a feature that the other prayers do not have: both the night and day angels are ready and they witness that prayer together.
There are two angels that record our deeds in the other prayers and at other times. During the morning prayer, the handover of the night and day angels takes place; so, there are four angels at that time. Therefore, the morning prayer is witnessed.
After this handover following the salutation of the imam, the night angels ascend to the sky and say, “O Lord! We left Your slaves while they were worshipping/praying.” The day angels, who start their duty say, “O Lord! We found Your slaves worshipping/praying when we relieved guard.” Thereupon, Allah says to His angels, “Witness that I have forgiven My slaves.” (see Razi, Ibn Kathir, the interpretation of the verse in question)
According to what Tirmidhi narrates from Abu Hurayra –stating that it is sahih (sound) - , when the Prophet (pbuh) explained which prayer “the witnessed prayer” mentioned in the verse was, he said, “It is the morning prayer because both night and day angels come together and witness it.” (see Tirmidhi, Tafsir, 18/Tafsiru Suratil-Isra)
Bukhari also narrated a hadith with similar meaning. (see Bukhari, Tafsir,10)
Questions on Islam
- Are angels Allah's daughters?
- How many times of salah are stated in the Qur’an? Are there any evidences showing that salahs are performed five times in a day?
- How was the sleeping pattern of the Prophet (pbuh)?
- How can we overcome the fear of death?
- What are the reasons behind the fact that daily prayers were ordered in the Quran and performed at certain times?
- What to do on the Night of Power (Laylatul-Qadr)?
- How will the grave punishment of the dead people whose corpses are not found be? Does the soul suffer the punishment of grave?
- What is the judgement and virtue of fasting on the day of Arafah? How should we make use of the day of Arafa?
- Can you give information about the meaning of the supplication (dua) and glorification (tasbih) in the prayer and the rewards given for them?
- Ramadan, the month in which Paradise is decorated