Is it impossible for Allah to have a form and shape?
- What does it mean, ‘It is impossible for the creator of the universe to have a form and shape’?
Submitted by on Mon, 10/07/2017 - 14:23
Dear Brother / Sister,
- Form and shape are things that are related to material beings.
Allah does not resemble anything.
“There is nothing whatever like unto Him; He is the One that hears and sees (all things).” (ash-Shura, 42/11)
As it is indicated in the verse above, Allah sees and hears but He does not resemble any of His creatures.
Similarly, Allah’s existence is definite but His existence does not resemble to any being.
Since form and shape are characteristics of material beings, they cannot be Allah’s characteristics.
- People try to understand what they do not see by likening them to what they see. No matter what we think about the Sacred Being, whose nature is unknown by us, He is definitely some material things that we see or imagine.
Islamic scholars formulate these facts with the following principle: “No matter what people think or imagine about Allah, it is definitely not about Allah and cannot describe Him.”
Questions on Islam
- Will a person be held responsible for the thoughts that come to his mind involuntarily like likening the being of Allah to some forms?
- Al-Musawwir (The Fashioner, The Bestower of Forms)
- Al-Alim (The All-Knowing)
- Could you please give me information about the Oneness of Allah? What does Burhan al-Tamanu (Reductio ad Impossible) mean?
- How Should the Hadith Allah created man in the form of Rahman (the All-Merciful, Most Gracious). Be Understood?
- How should we understand the statement, "Allah is not anywhere and He is everywhere"? They say, "Allah is very close to us and we are far away from Him." How is it possible?
- How should we understand Allah Almighty’s being munazzah (free and away) from space?
- Could you please explain the notion of Tawhid (Oneness)?
- To what extent is a Christian’s belief of God who believes in trinity acceptable and valid?
- THE IDEOLOGICAL FOUNDATION OF ISLAM