Can we eat and drink till to the end of adhan at Sahur (meal eaten before starting fast)?
Submitted by on Mon, 16/08/2010 - 14:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
Both fasting and the time of Fajr prayer begin with Imsak (the time when the day's fast begins). So, it does not make any difference whether the adhan (call to prayer) is announced earlier or later. In the Hanafi school of jurisprudence, since it is more virtuous to perform the Fajr (morning) prayer a little later, in the other months than Ramadan, they start performing the morning prayer after reciting the adhan after the imsak time. However, in the month of Ramadan, it is recited earlier to announce that the time for fasting has started.
If the adhan is recited at the same time with imsak, one must quit eating and drinking as soon as s/he hears the adhan. Otherwise, the fasting may be invalidated. The best way is to quit eating and drinking before the adhan.
The one who eats or drinks while the adhan is being recited by thinking s/he could do so must fast one day as qada after Ramadan.
Questions on Islam
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- The duration of suhur (a meal taken before fajr in the month of Ramadan) and the time of the morning prayer
- Is it permissible to continue eating and drinking at suhur when adhan is being called?
- The duration of Suhur and the time of the Morning Prayer
- When does Suhur end?
- Prosperity and abundance of suhur (a meal taken before fajr in the month of Ramadan)
- After the Three Months and the Fast of Shawwal
- After the three months and the fast of Shawwal
- The Joy of Festival (Eid)
- One should break the Ramadan fast quickly